7 Quick Tips for a Healthy Body:
1. Eat a small handful of raw seeds and/or nuts every day. If you’re going to buy anything from the supermarket to snack on, let it be raw seeds and nuts… do not go for the chips and cookies!
2. Eat fresh fruit two times a day. Vary the color of the fruits: think red, green and orange for example, and alternate between grapes/berries, apples/pears and oranges/mandarins.
3. Many of you eat out most of the time, so it’s important that you order right. As a rule of thumb, always fill half your plate with vegetables, and a quarter each of protein and good carbs. Make sure you choose vegetables in a variety of different colors (green, red, orange, yellow…).
4. Choose good sources of protein, and try to include oily fish such as salmon and tuna two times a week. Avoid red meat as much as possible; keep it to once a week (or less!), and choose very lean cuts.
5. Chew your food well, until it becomes soft and almost liquid. This will help enormously with your digestion, and you will eat less!
6. Be religious about your water intake! It’s your most vital nutrient, so make sure you consume 6-8 glasses of water a day. Cut your coffee and soda intake, and replace it with tea and vegetable juices. At a business lunch, for example, you can order a Virgin Bloody Mary instead of a diet Coke, and tea instead of a coffee.
7. Avoid sugary and rich/fried food, and keep away from the bread and butter basket at restaurants… save the calories for real healthy food!
Practice deep conscious breathing throughout the day. You’ll be amazed at the immediate calming effect it has on your body. The “one-breath” meditation is a powerful, straightforward relaxation technique that can be practiced anytime, anywhere from your office to the subway!
Try it whenever you feel fatigued or out of whack: sit in a comfortable chair, straighten your back, relax your shoulders and take a deep breath. Let the air open your chest, and imagine that it is revitalizing every cell in your body. Hold your breath for a count of 3, then exhale releasing every bit of tension. Repeat 8 times for a quick pick-me-up!